PASTOR'S PAGE....February 2022
Pastor Wagner’s 2021 Annual Report
January 16, 2022
The year 2021 was the 146th year that First Trinity Lutheran Church gathered together to receive the gifts earned for us by Jesus Christ as a family of Lutheran Christians. It was the second year that worship was affected by the Coronavirus. The year was Coronavirus 2.0.
Our Lenten Midweek Services focused on the readings from the Passion of Our Lord and had the theme of “The Sweet Salvational Swap.” We had an average of 29 for these services.
On March 10 Callee Beethe was brought into the family of our Lord and of First Trinity Lutheran Church as she was baptized at the hospital. Her baptism was publicly recognized on June 15. On the same day, March 10, that is, Orma Hahn was released from this vale of tears and taken to her home in heaven. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.
On April 6 we mourned as Brooke Koch tragically passed away.
On Father’s Day, June 20, and as a surprise to her father-in-law Jayme Hahn joined First Trinity through adult confirmation.
On June 27 to July 2 Samuel, Cynthia and I went to the Higher Things Youth Conference in Fargo, North Dakota at North Dakota State University. The theme for this year’s conference was “Forgiven.” “I forgive you.” The three most powerful words in the universe. They don’t just change the universe for someone. They change someone’s eternity. They change your eternity!
We mourned the loss of Leonard and Joan Burger this year. Leonard passed away in August and Joan in December. I’ll always remember Leonard for his greeting of “Wie Geht’s” and Joan for her “Tak’r one day at a time and let the Lord take it from there.”
At our annual Christmas Dinner the main course was Windsor Loins. The LWML ladies did a skit and a couple of Christmas “puzzles” were provided which caused some discussion.
Our Midweek Advent Services focused on the Genealogy of Jesus Christ. It is amazing what you can glean from a genealogy and the surprises that are therein. Of course it all points to Jesus and how God deals with 0us with the Gospel. The average attendance for these services was 20.
On Christmas Eve we celebrated the Nativity of Our Lord with the Service of Lessons and Carols which included the children singing three songs. Then on Christmas Day we sang our joy with the angels and archangels over the Word becoming Flesh and dwelling among us.
During the year we had two transfers in, Helen Burger and Nathanael Prince. And there were two transfers out, Alan and Laura Bock.
We ended the year with 152 baptized members and 138 confirmed members. The average attendance for the year was 57 with 53 of those being members. Those who received Holy Communion on the Sundays that is was offered averaged 50. The average attendance for Bible Study was 16 with the average Sunday School attendance being 5.
The Coronavirus continued to have its effects throughout the year, some times more than others. For the most part our worship services are back to normal. We have had numerous members who have contracted the virus, some serious, others not so much. Praise the Lord we have had no deaths in our congregation due to the virus.
And so we have had another year of grace from the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. And we are blessed to remain First Trinity Lutheran Church, rural Beatrice, Nebraska.
Respectfully submitted by Timothy Wagner, Pastor of First Trinity Lutheran Church in the 11th year of this pastorate.
Registered Visitors at First Trinity for December/January 2022 (Visitors who filled out cards.)
Dec 24 John/Kristal & Clara Auty – Dallas, TX; Lyle Osborn – Lenexa, KS; Tami Adam – Omaha, NE;
Dec 25 Scott Flaming – Hutchinson, KS; Lorraine & Eric Flaming – Inman, KS; Tami Adam – Omaha, NE; John/Kristal & Clara Auty – Dallas, TX
Dec 26 Tami Adam – Omaha, NE; John/Kristal & Clara Auty – Dallas, TX
Dec 31 Pastor Arthur/Barbara Schauer - Seward, TX
Jan 2 Worship Canceled due to weather.
Jan 9 Dianna & Bailey Bannister – Omaha, NE
Jan 16 Rosie Hill – Fairbury, NE
Jan 23 Jacob/Hannah Meyer – Beatrice, NE
THOSE CELEBRATING BIRTHDAYS IN THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY:
Jacob Wagner 6 Matthew Beethe 18
Kodi Meyer 11 Joan Meyer 21
Randy Kite* 12 Virginia Swartz 23
Evan Brandt 13 Taylor Koch 26
James Hahn 14 Carol Cunningham 28
Kolby McAllister 14 James Franzen 28
Sandra Brandt 17 Allen Pfingsten 28
THOSE CELEBRATING BAPTISMAL BIRTHDAYS IN THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY
Ethel Hartman 3 Cynthia Wagner 18
Meagan McAllister 7 Jacob Wagner 18
Melissa Larmeu 11 Rebecca Behrends 19
Terry Collins 14 Virginia Swartz 23
Timothy Wagner 15 Evan Brandt 26
Randi Niemeier 18
THOSE CELEBRATING ANNIVERSARIES IN THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY: Brian/Katie Genrich 25
*If your birthday, baptismal birthday, or anniversary date is missing from our lists, please contact the church office so we can include it next year.
Church Offering Income for the Month of December: $18,586.66.
First Trinity Lutheran Church Council Meeting Minutes January 11, 2022
The meeting was called to order by Elder Brent Niemeier at 7:36 pm. Pastor Wagner gave an opening devotion with a reading from Isaiah, Chapter 42. The minutes of the previous council meeting were approved as presented. Russell Behrends presented the Financial Secretary's report. The Treasurer's report was presented by Ron Malchow. Income received from Financial Secretary for December was $18,586.66, expenses $21,036.46, with an ending balance of $43,223.93. Quarterly and Annual reports were also given with a noted small discrepancy of under $3.00 in income between Financial Secretary and Treasurer on the quarterly and annual reports, to be resolved by voters meeting. Motion was made to accept financial reports by Allen Pfingsten. Seconded by Darin Pohlmann. Motion carried. (See reports)
Elders’ Report –
· Next month’s meeting will be February 8, with the Elders meeting at 6:30 pm. and Council at 7:30 pm.
Pastor’s Report – Pastor Timothy Wagner
· Aaron Zimmerman has requested a transfer to Good Sheperd in Lincoln.
· Pastor Wagner is asking Nathanael Prince to be the Lay Delegate for the 2022 District Convention.
· Joan Burger’s funeral was December 14.
· The average attendance for the 4th quarter was 61 members and 4 visitors on Sundays. The average attendance was 56 for communion, 17 for adult bible class, 4 for Sunday school and 33 for special services.
Trustee’s Report – Darin Pohlmann
· Our insurance adjuster was out to inspect damage to building roofs following the windstorm.
· Mowing for bid cemetery granted to Trevor Johnson for $120 per mowing.
· Mowing bid for church and school grounds granted to Samuel Wagner for $75 per mowing.
· Hay bid granted to Trevor Johnson for $280.
· Trustee’s will seek painting bids for exterior of church building.
· Bushes have been removed from west side of school building.
Stewardship / Board of Education – Not present. No Report.
Sunday School Superintendent - Not present. No Report.
· 3 children sang during the Christmas Eve service.
Cemetery Sexton – Not present. No Report.
· No HVAC proposal for the school building yet.
· Kyle will get an estimate for replacing light fixtures in the fellowship hall and kitchen by January voters meeting.
· Motion by Dean Damme to grant Aaron Zimmerman a transfer to Good Shepard in Lincoln. Seconded by Allen Pfingsten. Motion carried.
· Compiled 2022 budget.
· Voter’s meeting agenda.
Motion to adjourn by Ron Malchow. Seconded by Dean Damme. Motion carried. Meeting was closed with the Lord’s Prayer at 8:55 pm.
Members present include: Pastor Wagner, Jim Nelson, Darin Pohlmann, Allen Pfingsten, Dean Damme, Brent Niemeier, Ron Malchow, Russ Behrends, and Kyle Spilker.
Submitted by Secretary Kyle Spilker.
First Trinity Lutheran Church Voters Meeting Minutes - January 16, 2022
The meeting was called to order by President James Hahn at 10:35 a.m. Pastor Wagner gave an opening devotion with a reading from Joshua Chapter 3. The minutes of the October 17, 2021 voters meeting was approved as presented. Russell Behrends presented the Financial Secretary's report. The Treasurer's report was provided by Ron Malchow. Income for 2021 was $ 150,338.47, expenses $171,432.33, with an ending balance of $43,223.93. Motion was made to accept financial reports by Brent Niemeier. Seconded by Allen Pfingsten. Motion carried. (see reports)
Elders’ Report – Brent Niemeier- No Report.
Pastor’s Report – Pastor Timothy Wagner
• Annual Report. (See report)
Trustee’s Report – Darrin Pohlmann
• Mowing bid for the cemetery granted to Trevor Johnson for $120 per mowing.
• Mowing bid for church and school grounds granted to Samuel Wagner for $75 per mowing.
• Hay bid granted to Trevor Johnson for $280.
• Insurance adjuster was out to inspect damage to building roofs following the windstorm.
• Trustee’s will seek painting bids for exterior of church building.
• Bushes have been removed from west side of school building.
• Tuckpointing on church building is complete.
• Looking into repairs of decorative curls on church pews.
• Kyle Spilker reported on options and cost for new LED lights for kitchen and fellowship hall.
Stewardship / Board of Education – Lee Beethe – No Report.
Sunday School Superintendent – Not Present. No Report.
Cemetery Sexton – Not Present. No Report.
• Pictorial Directory – work in progress. We need to send out letters to all members.
• Seeking a bid to update HVAC in school building.
• Motion by Pastor Wagner to nominate Nathanael Prince to be the Lay Delegate for the 2022 District Convention June 24 and 25. Seconded by Robin Hahn. Motion carried.
• Motion by Senator Tom Brandt to accept the 2022 Budget as presented. Seconded by Brent Niemeier. Motion carried.
• Motion by Walt Neumann to designate all $1600 of the Thrivent Choice dollars to the cemetery perpetual care fund. Seconded by Allen Pfingsten. Motion carried.
• Carolyn Bennett reminded members to designate First Trinity as beneficiaries of their Thrivent Choice dollars.
• Motion by Jim Nelson to replace the two lights in the kitchen with the flat panel LED light fixtures to see how we like them before proceeding to replace lights in the fellowship hall. Seconded by Sandra Brandt. Motion carried.
• President James Hahn appointed Russ Behrends and Jim Nelson to audit the 2021 books. Motion to adjourn by Russ Behrends. Seconded by Allen Pfingsten. Motion carried.
Meeting was closed with the Lord’s Prayer at 11:25 a.m.
There were 27 voting members and 1 visitor present.
Submitted by Secretary Kyle Spilker.